About Texas Independence Day Events
Constitution of the State of Texas (1876) Article VII, Section 10: The Legislature shall, as soon as practicable, establish, organize and provide for the maintenance, support and direction of a university of the first class, to be located by a vote of the people of this State, and styled "The University of Texas," for the promotion of literature, and the arts and sciences, including an agricultural and mechanical department.
In 1900, the Ex-Students Association (Texas Exes) adopted a resolution which states: "Whenever two Texas Exes shall meet on March 2, they all shall sit and break bread and pay tribute to the institution that made their education possible."
Texas Exes around the globe celebrate our University of the First Class on Texas Independence Day, March 2nd. This is a great opportunity to showcase The University of Texas, the Texas Exes, as well as your chapter.
Texas Exes TID celebrations are an expression of pride in the state of Texas, which had the foresight to establish a “university of the first class” in the Texas constitution. They are not celebrations of Texas’ independence from Mexico.
Why Participate in Texas Independence Day?
- Great PR for the Chapter
- Highlights Texas Exes and UT all over the country and world!
- Celebrates “a university of the first class”
- Advocate for Higher Education
- Invite state senators and representatives as guests. This is a unique opportunity to further connect your lawmakers with their constituents over higher education and celebrate Texas and the University.
- Student Scholarship Fundraising
- Many chapters use TID events as a fundraiser to benefit their local Texas Exes Chapter Scholarships.
This handbook is designed to guide you through planning a successful Texas Independence Day Celebration. Every chapter’s event can look different as some use this as their largest scholarship fundraiser of the year while others have social events which vary from big celebrations to happy hours.
This guide has virtual and in-person TID event activity ideas.