Network President: John Cano
Born and raised in Victoria, TX (with a few years in La Place, LA) John graduated in 2010 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in History and a minor in Spanish. Following that, he earned his Master of Science in Management from Wake Forest University in 2011.
John is a Life Member of the Texas Exes and has been actively involved in the Texas Exes Pride Alumni Network since attending the first Alumni Celebration following Lavender Graduation in May 2012. He then got involved with network activities organized in Houston by past Network Co-Chair, Jamie Gonzales. He served as Network Secretary from 2013-14 and as Network Chair from 2014-2016.
As an IT Manager in the Enterprise Business Information Technology Solutions department at the University, he oversees a team of analysts responsible for the configuration, support, and enhancement of the Workday payroll and benefits modules.
When he's not working or staying involved with the Network, he's staying busy as Past President and Board Member for the Kiwanis Club of Austin-Northeast, serving as the Lt. Governor of Division 24 (Greater Austin Area) of the Texas-Oklahoma District of Kiwanis International, advising the Circle K International chapter at UT, and serving as finance and IT administrator for the Texas-Oklahoma District of Circle K International.
Duties of the Network President
- Lead the officers and committee chairs of the Network
- Work with committee chairs to meet their goals throughout the year
- Develop strategies for funding the Network scholarship
- Recruit new members to the Network
- Plan and lead board meetings
- Meet with campus and community partners/officials on behalf of the Network
- Develop strategies toward achieving long-term Network goals
- Adhere to the bylaws of the Network and of Texas Exes
- Work closely with the President-Elect to keep him/her informed of all aspects of the Network’s activities
- Encourage Board members to attend the Chapter and Network Leadership Conference
- With the President-Elect, oversee the formation of the nominating committee, who will choose the slate of officers to be voted on for the following year
- Work with the chair-elect to make sure that all required Network documents are turned in by the June 1st deadline
- Identify/secure liaisons for Gender and Sexuality Center, Pride & Equity Faculty Staff Association, and LGBTQIA+ student organizations