The Texas Exes, the alumni association for The University of Texas at Austin, announces the immediate opening for the full-time, exempt position of Associate Editor.
Do you want to build your career at a place that values people, culture, and connection? Do you thrive on a creative team and love collaboration? Do you want to tell compelling stories across various media and write for an award-winning magazine?
With more than 500,000 Longhorns living around the world, the Texas Exes is one of the largest alumni associations in the country. The Associate Editor is a full-time, exempt position responsible for writing and editing for the Alcalde magazine—the official publication of the Texas Exes—producing video content and serving as a copyeditor and proofreader for association communications and marketing materials. It is a dynamic job in journalism and a wonderful place to build your writing portfolio and with a substantial and engaged readership.
Major Job Functions
- Edit the 40 Acres section of the bimonthly Alcalde print magazine and manage all freelancers in that section from pitch through publication.
- Pitch and write features and news stories for the Alcalde print magazine.
- Upload and format Alcalde content for the web.
- Contribute to the Alcalde Docs monthly video series by pitching stories, interviewing subjects, and writing scripts.
- Proofread emails, marketing material, scripts, and other association collateral regularly.
- Work with the marketing team to edit, write, and develop social media posts for the Texas Exes brand across all channels.
- Write, edit, and proofread department copy for all Texas Exes departments.
- Keep a constant eye on UT and association events and news for possible Alcalde stories or social media opportunities.
- Help manage the editorial internship program.
Essential Job Requirements
- Strong skills in writing, grammar, and editing
- Knowledge of AP style
- Familiarity with publishing and photo software
- Experience interviewing subjects and writing in journalistic style
- A respect for deadlines and the ability to juggle many kinds of projects
- Strong attention to detail and reliability
- Initiative and ambition to find stories that others have missed
Other Success Factors
- A deep understanding of magazine style and tone (as opposed to newspaper or PR style)
- A working knowledge of UT—its culture, its personalities, its challenges, and strengths
- An eagle eye that catches typos others miss and relishes in the details
- A finger on the pulse of the ever-evolving social media landscape and a knack for picking up new media quickly
- Eagerness to be a large part of a small team
The Texas Exes prides itself on being a family-oriented and fulfilling working environment. We are a close-knit team of mission-driven people who get the job done. We offer our full-time employees a highly competitive benefits package (generous 401K match, fully paid health premium options with employer contribution into an HSA—just to name a few), and a professional culture that rewards and acknowledges hard work, creativity, and loyalty.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE POSITION, send your resume, cover letter, references, and SALARY REQUIREMENTS by September 28, 2021, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to put “Associate Editor” in the subject line and state where you saw this posting. No phone calls please.
The Texas Exes alumni association is an Equal Opportunity Employer