The Texas Exes, the alumni association for The University of Texas at Austin, announces an immediate opening for the part-time (up to 20 hours/week), non-exempt position of Advocacy Intern.
The Texas Exes, through the UT Advocates program, works to inform, organize, and engage alumni and friends of The University of Texas at Austin in the political process. We strive to create a culture in which the power we have as individual citizens and alumni can be multiplied through collective effort to benefit the University. Our advocacy efforts are focused on preparing alumni to communicate with decision makers on issues that directly affect the University and developing a culture of intentionality aimed at helping alumni build relationships with decision makers back at home, where it counts. The Advocacy Intern for Texas Exes carries a variety of responsibilities centered on the development and maintenance of day to day advocacy operations for the association, with additional components of long-term strategy development and planning for the program’s growth.
Major Job Functions
· Higher education policy and legislative research on the state and federal level
· Campaign tracking, research, and data entry for election cycles
· Creation of strategic messages and corresponding writ materials
· Regional outreach and engagement of alumni, including further development of the alumni network.
· Facilitating student engagement with the Texas Exes advocacy program
· Management of Longhorn Advocates – student UT Advocate volunteers
· Event planning and coordination
· Alumni research and database tracking for continued growth of the program
· Database management in coordination with the association’s CRM platform
· Various administrative tasks
· Competency with Microsoft Office suite
· Strong organizational and attention to detail skills
· Able to work independently and in a timely manner
· Data entry experience
· Ability to prioritize and handle several projects at once
· Ability to communicate effectively with high level alumni and professionals
· Handle sensitive and confidential information
· Be able to navigate a non-partisan political environment.
· Experience with the Texas Legislature, higher education policy, and advocacy are a plus
· Pass background check
This is a paid part-time internship position. Working hours will be set upon hire. If you have interest in advocacy program development, a love politics, a desire to gain experience in Texas political landscape, and are interested in the opportunity to work independently and creatively, then this position is for you.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE POSITION Send resume by Monday May 13th to Rachel Osterloh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to put “Advocacy Intern” in the subject line and state where you saw this posting.
No phone calls please.
The Texas Exes alumni association is an Equal Opportunity Employer