The Texas Exes, through the UT Advocates program, works to inform, organize, and engage alumni in the political process.
Our advocacy efforts are focused on preparing alumni to communicate with decision makers on issues that directly affect UT Austin and developing a culture of intentionality aimed at helping alumni build relationships with decision makers back at home, where it counts.
The Advocacy Intern for Texas Exes carries a variety of responsibilities centered on the development and maintenance of day to day advocacy operations for the association, with additional components of long term strategy development and planning for the program’s growth.
Advocacy Interns are engaged in the following activities:
- Higher education policy and legislative research on the state and federal level
- Campaign tracking, research, and data entry for election cycles
- Creation of strategic messages and corresponding writ materials
- Regional outreach and engagement of alumni, including further development of the alumni network.
- Facilitating student engagement with the Texas Exes advocacy program
- Event planning and coordination
- Alumni research and database tracking for continued growth of the program
- Database management in coordination with the Association’s CRM platform
- Various administrative tasks
Essential Job Requirements
Applicants should demonstrate the ability to work independently, finish tasks in a timely manner, and communicate effectively with high level alumni and professionals. Applicants must be able to navigate a non-partisan political environment while handling sensitive and confidential information. Excellent organization skills, attention to detail and competency with Microsoft Office suite of products are necessary. Experience with the Texas Legislature, higher education policy, and advocacy are a plus.
This is a paid part-time internship position. Working hours will be set upon hire, and it is expected to continue through the 87th Legislative Session. This internship will mainly be remote.
If you have interest in advocacy program development, a love politics, a desire to gain experience in Texas political landscape, and are interested in the opportunity to work independently and creatively, then this position is for you.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE POSITION please send resume and cover letter to Rachel Osterloh, at Rachel.Osterloh@texasexes.org by November 2, 2020.