An annual holiday dinner sponsored by the Texas Union Theater Committee aimed at spreading the joy of Christmas. Originated in 1980, the dinner includes traditional fare such as wassail punch and flaming rum pudding, as well as music from the Renaissance period. A costumed king and queen lead dances, songs and toasts, and tumblers, jugglers, jesters, poets, magicians, and bards provide entertainment.
see Chamber Singers
UT has had two "Main Buildings." The first was built in three parts: west wing completed in 1884; center portion in 1889; east wing in 1899. This first building was razed in 1935 to make room for the current Main Building and Tower, completed in 1937, with Paul Cret of Philadelphia as architect.
The area from the south front of the Main Bulding to Littlefield Fountain. Commencement exercises are held annually on the upper part of the Main Mall, near the entrance to the Main Building.
Mallet, John William
1832-1912, born Dublin, Ireland; teacher of chemistry and physics on first UT faculty, 1883; first chief administrative officer of UT: chairman of the faculty.
Organized in 1903, specialized in popular music and was described as being "one of those jolly clubs whose rollicking music is typical of college life." It usually accompanied the Glee Club on tours.
Manuel, Herschel T.
1887-1976, born Freetown, Ind.; professor of educational psychology at UT for 37 years; established the predecessors to the Counseling-Psychological Services and the Measurement and Evaluation Center; directed the first testing program at UT in the 1920s.
In 1972, when administration of Round-Up passed from the disinterested student government to the Interfraternity Council, the Silver Spurs began sponsoring a Marathon Dance in Gregory Gymnasium. The first marathon netted $15,000 for charity. It has since been discontinued.
Texas Independence Day is the day Texas Exes around the world pause to celebrate and toast their alma mater. The first celebration occurred in 1897 when the senior law students "borrowed" a cannon from the Capitol grounds, fired it on the campus, and declared the day to be a holiday, in spite of President George Winston's objections. An. annual celebration held on the Main Mall is planned and directed by The Ex-Students' Association.
Marine Science Institute
Laboratories and boat facilities on the Gulf of Mexico which function academically through the College of Natural Sciences and through the Graduate School. The resident staff is concerned with basic and applied research and undergraduate and graduate instruction in marine studies in cooperation with the departments of Botany, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Geological Sciences, Microbiology, and Zoology. The Port Aransas Marine Laboratory, founded in 1941, is located in Port Aransas at the entrance of the main ship channel to Corpus Christi, with access to a wide variety of beach, bay, Gulf shelf, and open Gulf environments. The Galveston Geophysics Laboratory, located in Galveston, is housed in a new $1,000,000 building and operates two geophysical research vessels: the 135-foot Ida Green and the 165-foot Fred H. Moore.
Mathews, E. J.
1878-1964, born Clopton, Ala.; secretary to UT president and Board of Regents, UT registrar, and dean of admissions, 1911-1959.
Mayes, William H.
1861-1939, born Mayfield, Ky.; lieutenant' governor of Texas, 1913 and 1914; founded UT School of Journalism, serving as its dean for 12 years.
McCormick, Charles T.
1889-1968, born Dallas, Texas; gave 40 years of distinguished service as teacher, scholar, and writer of law; dean, UT School of Law, 1940-1949.
1895-1981, born Cuero, Texas; executive director of The Ex-Students' Association, 1926-1956; helped start the Round-Up celebration in the '30s; instrumental in drawing plans and raising funds for the Union Project: the Texas Union, Hogg Auditorium, Gregory Gym, and Anna Hiss Gym.
A major astronomical observatory at Mount Locke in West Texas. W. J. McDonald bequeathed approximately $1.1 million to the University in 1926, of which $800,000 was retained after legal complications. The money was used toward the construction of an 82-inch reflecting telescope which, at its completion in 1939, was the second largest of its kind in the world. In 1969, with the help of NASA, UT expanded its facilities and installed a 107-inch telescope, which was the third largest in the world at its completion. It was soon outmatched, however, and within a decade was about the 14th largest. Plans are under way to construct a 300-inch telescope which will outclass the current No. 1 telescope in Russia in both size and technology. (see Texas Telescope)
Dean of the Graduate School of Library Science, 1969 - 1972.
McGill, William L.
Professor of Journalism and director of Texas Student Publications, Inc.; president of The Ex-Students' Association, 1929-1930, during which time he originated the idea for the annual Round-Up. He died in 1959.
McKie, J. W.
Dean of the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, 1972 -1976.
The home of the UT president. At 2101 Meadowbrook in west Austin's Tarrytown, the home was first acquired when Logan Wilson was president, but was later sold. It was purchased again in 1968 while Norman Hackerman was president.
The first black scholarship athlete to take part in an intercollegiate athletic event (track in 1964) in any sport in a Southwest Conference school.
Measurement and Evaluation Center
At 2616 Wichita in the Bridgeway, formerly a privately owned apartment house for male students; acquired by the University in 1968. It is responsible for national testing programs and many University testing programs, particularly those involving academic placement and course credit by examination. The center also conducts evaluation studies in course instructor and teaching effectiveness.
Built in 1924 with private funds raised in a statewide campaign; the home of UT football and track. The first unit seated 27,000; in 1926, it was enlarged to accommodate 40,500; and in 1948, it was renovated to seat more than 60,000. The upper deck, supported by Bellmont Hall and completed in 1972, raised seating capacity to approximately 81,000. AstroTurf was first installed in 1969. The stadium was rededicated in 1977 "in memory of all American veterans of all wars."
Metzenthin, W. E.
1875-1942, born Berlin, Germany; professor of Germanic languages at UT; an early UT football, basketball, and track coach; vice president of the Southwest Conference, 1935-1936.
Trust fund created by the will of former UT president Sidney E. Mezes and his wife to provide financial assistance to one or more faculty members in need because of misfortune; administered by an anonymous standing committee, first appointed in 1953.
Completed on the Main Mall in 1953 for the Psychology Department; named for the late professor and president of UT from 1908 to 1914, Sidney Edward Mezes, who started the Psychology Department in 1898.
Mezes, Sidney Edward
The fifth president of the University; a graduate of Harvard; an adjunct professor of philosophy at UT in 1894. In 1902, he became the dean of the Department of Literature, Science, and Arts, and was president, 1908-1914. He left in 1914 to become president of the City College of New York.
Organized in September 1937. The Men's Inter-Community Association' for social, religious, .and athletic benefit was an organization of non-fraternity men. Districts, or zones, were established and representatives chosen from each of the 11. Sidney Reagan was the first president. It reached its height in popularity as a student group in the 1950s and then gradually lost its importance.
Michener, James A. and Mari, Collection
Considered one of the finest collections of. American art in the Southwest. It was given to the University in 1968 by author James Michener and his wife Mari. This contemporary survey of American art resides in the Archer M. Huntington Art Gallery of the Harry Ransom Center and includes approximately 300 works by Robert Henri, Hans Hofmann, Al Heid, and others.
MIGHT (Mobility Impaired Grappling Hurdles Together)
A group formed in the early 1970s to help remove obstacles on campus that caused problems for the mobility-impaired.
Miller, Clarence Heath
Dean of the School of Law, 1904-1907.
Miller, Thomas Scott
1850-1912, born Jackson, La; UT teacher of law, 1893; chairman of the faculty, 1894 - Weinberg, professor of physics. Herman Joseph Muller, whose research in genetics was accomplished at UT, became a recipient of a Nobel Prize for the work after he left the University. He taught zoology at UT from 1920 to 1936.