Texas Exes Awards for Outstanding Teachers
The Texas Exes and The University of Texas are committed to education and the dedicated professionals who lead that charge for our state. Each year, we recognize ten Texas high school teachers and two elementary school teachers with the Texas Exes Awards for Outstanding Teachers. These educators inspire and support their students, bring credit to the teaching profession, and are held in the highest regard by their students, fellow teachers, administrators, parents and community. Since 1987, over 3,000 have been nominated and 287 selected as recipients of this prestigious award.
We're proud to announce the 2013 recipients of the Texas Exes Awards for Outstanding Teachers!
Who can be considered?
Nominees do not need to be alumni of The University of Texas to be eligible. We regularly award Aggies, Baylor Bears, Red Raiders and teachers who graduated from countless other accredited institutions. Nominations are encouraged from all subject matters, school sizes and geographic locations. Any full-time high school (9-12 grade) or elementary school (K-5 grade) teacher from a Texas public school who meets all of the following requirements is eligible for this award.
- High school teacher nomination must come from the high school principal
- Elementary school teacher nomination must come from the regional service center executive director
- Nominee must have a minimum of eight years of classroom teaching experience and must be returning to teach the following year
- If nominee is chosen, he or she must be present at the Texas Exes Awards for Outstanding Teachers Banquet on February 22, 2013 to win (expenses paid)
What do winners receive?
Ten high school teachers and two elementary school teachers from Texas public schools state-wide will be selected for this award. The teacher honorees receive:
- Statewide and local recognition
- $2,250 cash prize
- A specially commissioned sculpture
- An awards banquet hosted by The University of Texas president with expenses paid. The teacher honoree must be present to win.
Selection and presentation
All nominations are reviewed by a panel including former recipients, education faculty, a future teacher and alumni leaders. Honorees are selected and announced in late December.
- August 2012 - Nominations open
- September 7, 2012 - Deadline for high school principals to submit nominations.
- September 30, 2012 - Deadline for high school teacher nominees to submit nomination packet. And deadline for Regional Service Center Executive Directors to submit elementary teacher nomination form.
- December 2012 - Winners selected and announced
- February 22, 2013 – Texas Exes Awards for Outstanding Teachers Dinner and Presentation - by invitation only.
Questions? Contact Whitney Airaudi at (512) 471-3808 or firstname.lastname@example.org.